Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
None4U None4U is offline

Default Whats with onion sets.

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
None4U wrote:
Hi . Anyone care to explain how to grow onions from year to year. I'm
not understanding how making onion sets gets you anywhere. You either
let then grow and eat them or plant them late and make sets for next
year. How do you get onions to reproduce. Without buying them over and
over. They don't seed do they?

The onion sets are a convenience item, much like buying bedding plants.

I think a problem with growing from seeds is differentiating the young
onion plants from weeds, setting out a set eases the weeding, or at least
the attempt at it.

Also, since onions are biennial, if you didn't plant last year you will
have no big onions this year.

Please elaborate. Do you mean I have to put onions in the ground in the
fall. For next year. And just today I found about 10 onions about 6 inches
tall growing in my moms patch. . But no onions were planted there in 3
years.

At least that's what I read when I put in my onions. I have no experience
with them (or much else for that matter!). I have this feeling that there
is a lot to growing onions. This from our "friends" at Garden Web:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...061413183.html

Jeff