Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
None4U None4U is offline

Default Whats with onion sets.

"Bobo" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 May 2010 00:33:18 -0400, "None4U"
wrote:

Hi . Anyone care to explain how to grow onions from year to year. I'm not
understanding how making onion sets gets you anywhere. You either let
then
grow and eat them or plant them late and make sets for next year. How do
you
get onions to reproduce. Without buying them over and over. They don't
seed do they?

I grew up planting onions with sets. Once I started with seed I never
went back. Onions from seed are bigger and better with more variety
available. In Ohio anyway, prepare the soil in the fall for spring
planting. I planted around the first of March this year though
sometimes go as late as April, earlier is better. My soil is heavy and
so I cover the seed with compost. Planting mix or sand work too.

I got about 80 sets of red onions.For this year already. But I would like
to get them from my own seed.