Old 03-05-2010, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ever-returning hole

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

However, 2 days ago, the 3 inch diameter (and clean hole) returned!

Wood Mice I suspect, we have them on our allotment and they tunnel around
extensively. ...

You clearly have wood mice the size of transpondian gophers :-)

Obviously. They are mice, I've seen them sprint away when I've used the
cultivator. However I'm saying they are wood mice because that's what I was
told. The one I found dead was quite big for a mouse, but not a rat (had
them in our garden at home), and had a reddish colour fur with a white tummy
and after your comment I haven't been able to put a name to it.

Yes, that's a field mouse - a.k.a. wood mouse. They are bigger
than house mice, but their holes are rarely bigger than 1" diameter.
Even rat holes are not normally 3" diameter, and mole ones are
more like 1.5".

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.