Old 20-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Gary Dawg

Default effort in clearing up hazy water... will this do?

"kush" wrote in message
Hi, Linda. I'm uncomfortable in the role of "expert," but since I'm the
self-designated UGF/high pH-soft-water guy, what the hey...

The first impression I get is that you might be doing too many

interventions
and too much cleaning. If the tank has only been up a couple of months

(?),
you sure don't need to be vacuuming gravel. I only do mine every year or

so
and only if I happen to be replanting a large area. Besides, Leigh and
others are going to scold you for wasting all that yummy mulm (after they
stop palpitating over the ugf). At any rate, I'd recommend just doing

your
25% weekly-or-so water changes for a while and letting things get
established.

snip

Kush,

I vacuum my gravel with a Python every Friday with a good water change on my
90 gallon Oscar/Pacu tank (two Oscars/one Pacu, I know I need a 150
gallon)... I have an UGF and vacuum weekly which results in a goodly amount
of nasty looking stuff being sucked out of the gravel. Can't imagine how bad
it would be in a month, never mind a year... I would think the bacteria is
microscopic and covering the rocks, etc. and that it doesn't need all that
waste product in the gravel.

My 30 gallon (small tropicals) has no UGF and a thin layer of gravel which I
also vacuum weekly.

Am I missing the boat here and am vacuming too much? Are you saying to just
do water changes?

-Gary