Old 04-05-2010, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DB001 DB001 is offline

Default tulips

wrote:
DB001 wrote:
I planted some red tulips in troughs last autumn
all flowered this year
Q. what do I do now

I think you're meant to take out the stem but leave the leaves till
they die off (so the bulb has enough strength to grow again next
year). Then I suppose it depends on what you want to do with the
troughs - for tulips I leave mine in the ground, but you may want to
empty your trough out for winter planting, so I guess you could lift
the bulbs and put them away until you are ready to replant them in
the autumn (would stop them rotting if it's not well drained)

I think as long as you don't pull the leaves off now before they have
had a chance to recoup some energy, it doesn't really matter /what/
you do with them.

(my black-ish tulips are still growing well - apart from my 4 year old
picked all the flowers off to feed to the chickens, except for 1 poor
lonely flower hiding under the day-lily)

--

many thanx

feed the 4 year old to the chickens :-)
DB001