Old 04-05-2010, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Earthing Up Spuds

Ian B wrote:
As an experiment I am growing some spuds in a bed. You will all be horrified
to know that they came from Sainsburys, not certified seed stock. The
justification for this is that

I've done this before, I don't think you have to justify it to anyone, as
long as you don't mind what you get out of it (other than "potatoes")

Currently they've just broken through, they're about an inch or two high.
I'm inclined to leave them until they're quite big then start piling up the
earth around them. Is this correct? Or should I bury the poor blighters now?

We've never gone overboard with the earthing up before, but since I was
having to hoe out weeds anyhow yesterday, I threw the hoed up stuff on top
of the sprouting leaves. They were probably 4-8" tall. Anything smaller
than 4" or so I didn't earth up.

I'm no expert, still mostly experimenting here, after 4-5 years of
allotmenting (and a garden that still keeps cropping potatoes all over
despite not having any planted in it for 5+ years!)