Old 04-05-2010, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default Earthing Up Spuds

shazzbat wrote:
"Ian B" wrote in message
As an experiment I am growing some spuds in a bed. You will all be
horrified to know that they came from Sainsburys, not certified seed
stock. The justification for this is that

(a) nobody anywhere nearby is growing potatoes, or veg of any kind,
except Victor, and I'm pretty certain his all come from Sainsburys
as well, and he's not right next door and

(b) it just so happened I had some sprout in the kitchen, and so for
fun I thought I'd see if they would chit properly, and they did, so
I planted them and

(c) They all said on the bags they're from Scotland, which is where
the seed potatoes come from so I'm told.

There are half a dozen Nicola, and I think the others are
Carlingford; I knew this certainly for weeks then suddenly got a
mental block about what they are, but I think they're Carlingford.
Anyway, they are all sort of early I think. That is, Sainsburys sell
them in bags of teeny new potatoes, which is how I got them in the
first place.

Nicola are a second early, I don't bother earthing them up, just start
harvesting as they start to flower, but earthing up wouldn't do them
any harm if you're that way inclined.

Carlingford are an early main crop, and also used for second cropping
for Xmas new potatoes. Start cropping them when you've used the
Nicola, or earlier if you like. Some say the right time to harvest
spuds is when you're hungry.

The thing to watch now they're showing is frost which will nip the
tops off them and set them back a bit. If frost is forecast in your
area, earth them up so the tips are covered by 1" - 2" of soil,
they'll know what to do then.

Thanks for your answer! The "Carlingfords" were tiny new potatoes when I
bought them, so if they're maincrop maybe they aren't Carlingfords. I can't
believe how forgetful I'm getting. I'm only 44!

At least I think I am, hold on a minute...

Ian