Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default Earthing Up Spuds

wrote:
Ian B wrote:
As an experiment I am growing some spuds in a bed. You will all be
horrified to know that they came from Sainsburys, not certified seed
stock. The justification for this is that

I've done this before, I don't think you have to justify it to
anyone, as long as you don't mind what you get out of it (other than
"potatoes")

Well, looking around for potato information I found some forums where the
mention of non-certificated potatoes produced a reaction of great outrage.

Currently they've just broken through, they're about an inch or two
high. I'm inclined to leave them until they're quite big then start
piling up the earth around them. Is this correct? Or should I bury
the poor blighters now?

We've never gone overboard with the earthing up before, but since I
was having to hoe out weeds anyhow yesterday, I threw the hoed up
stuff on top of the sprouting leaves. They were probably 4-8" tall.
Anything smaller than 4" or so I didn't earth up.

I think I'll leave them to get bigger then sort of earth them up a bit in a
vague and indecisive way.

I'm no expert, still mostly experimenting here, after 4-5 years of
allotmenting (and a garden that still keeps cropping potatoes all over
despite not having any planted in it for 5+ years!)

Well I'm so green everyone looks like an expert to me!

Ian