Old 05-05-2010, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] nobody@nowhere.org is offline

Default Homemade V8?

On Tue, 04 May 2010 19:51:46 -0400, "Dan L."
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

First time poster, but I've been reading this newsgroup for awhile. I
enjoy an 11.5 oz can of V8 every morning and got to thinking about
making my own. Not so much to taste exactly like it, but as a way to
not let anything from the garden go to waste.

I envision using tomatoes as a base ingredient and add whatever's ripe
at the time. Is there a brand of juicer that would be preferable over
say, a blender? I'd imagine retaining the maximum amount of
nutritional value would invole a different process than just smashing
vegies into juice.

We can and freeze, but there's always some goodies left over that I
just hate to throw in the compost. I'll bet you could come up with
some interesting flavors too ; ) Have any of you tried this?

Thanks

Newb

A blender would be better than a juicer. A juicer does a poor job of
straining soft fruits. A food mill or food stainer is much better for
soft fruits like tomatoes. I find the seeds and skins can give a bitter
taste to the juice. The food strainer removes the seeds and skins.
For fresh I would use a simple food mill. A powerful blender is easier
to use and can pulverize the skins and small seeds. However I will
sacrifice the extra nutrition and fiber that the skins and seeds may
have over taste.

http://www.amazon.com/Roma-Strainer-...000I6JUMA/ref=
sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273014905&sr=1-3

Do you have one of those, Dan? One of the three reviews on that is
less than stellar.

Newb

When the tomatoes come in, I preserve my own tomato juice and use that
for my base tomato drinks. I consumed my last jar of my homemade: tomato
juice two weeks ago, salsa two months ago, whole tomatoes three months
ago, I still have four jars of sauce left. I am planting more tomatoes
this year.