Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Default Removed bushes - now what to replace?

Judging by the photo, the location is at the end of the front walk, at the
sidewalk, and in full sun year round.

If I didn't mind watering, I might plant azaleas and some large specimen
rocks. But I think I would rather have small trees there, that would make
a refreshing cool pool of shade on the otherwise hot sidewalk in front of
the house. Pick something with interesting bark and nice form, and not
too big. Decide if you require evergreen or if deciduous is acceptable.
Decide if highly attractive flowers are important, or not. Re form, I'd
be looking for trees that can be pruned to a T shape: single trunk and a
wide low crown.

For ideas walk around your neighborhood, visit nearby botanical gardens
and nurseries, and look at trees wherever you go around town.

Una