Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Removed bushes - now what to replace?

On 5/5/10 11:38 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:
OK, I finally got those big bushes removed from front of house. (Had
posted earlier for ways to remove stumps.) Turns out, after I
thoroughly wetted the base, gardener was able to dig it out, except
ran into little problem -- water line! Other stump coming out Friday,
not on water line, one hopes!

Here's current view:

http://tinypic.com/r/1zn8lli/5

(Hope link works!!!)

NOW: What to put in their place? I have been kicking around ideas,
getting more and more confused.
Need your recommendations. This is So. Calif coastal, North facing.
Plenty of sun all year.

1. Expen$ive decorative planter with tall-ish shrub (what kind????)
Gardener cautions it might be stolen.

2. Ordinary terra cotta planter with (tall) (short) shrub, but not
too spreading, or it will get in the way of the front walk like
the old shrubs did.

3. Home Depot has blueberry bushes that don't spread too much (it
said). Have been waiting decades for blueberries that will work w/o
winter chill. (I don't care if people pick a few as they pass)

4. Forget pots, shrubs, trees, etc. Create a low-lying semi-
circular area with pebbles/rocks/succulents/cacti.

5. Your suggestions?

WOULD REALLY VALUE YOUR INPUT ON THESE FIRST THOUGHTS.

TIA

Persephone

First of all, I will recommend against blueberries. They need acidic
soil, which is hard to maintain right next to a concrete walkway. They
also need ample water, which can be a problem with the water
restrictions imposed by many jurisdictions in our area.

I can suggest several things, all to be planted in the ground and all
evergreen. I have all of these in my garden. Although I'm more inland
than you, they are all suitable for coastal areas.

Artemisia 'Powis Castle': Drought tolerant, light-gray foliage forming
a mound, should be pruned back severely each spring, no flowers. I like
this far more than the many different species called "dusty miller".

Rhaphiolepis indica (Indian hawthorn): There are compact (almost dwarf)
varieties, but even the non-compact varieties are not overly large.
Drought tolerant, new foliage pink changing to dark green as it matures,
pink or white flowers.

Ilex cornuta 'Burfordii nana' (dwarf Burford holly): Not as prickly as
English holly (I. aquifolium), bears berries reliably without
cross-pollination, flowers very tiny and almost unnoticeable. Needs
regular watering.

Syzygium paniculatum (eugenia, bush cherry): Definitely choose a dwarf
variety; the standard variety can become a tree 60 ft tall and 20 ft
wide. Green foliage with red edges, new foliage might be dark red,
young stems are dark red. Flowers not showy, may have magenta berries
that are edible but not tasty. Needs more water than Artemisia and
Rhaphiolepis but less than Ilex.

Lavandula lanata x dentata ('Goodwin Creek Grey' lavender): Drought
tolerant, gray foliage, spikes of fragrant purple flowers almost all
year long (flowers need to be bruised for full fragrance).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean