Old 06-05-2010, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Basil dying

"Amos Nomore" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

Planted 3 bunches of basil 22 days ago. In the last 48 hours I have lost
one bunch and another has started to die. What appears to happen is that
the roots die and I see about an inch of the plant stem at the base turn
brown and woody. It happens very quickly. What could be the cause of
this?

Have you noticed any slugs or snails in the vicinity?

None, these are in pots.

Could it be overwatering? I may have gone a bit heavy on the water lately.
Could it be damping off? Looking at an affected plant the roots look more
or less ok. There is just this dry, woody brown band at the stalk base
about 1/2 inch long and it's cutting off water to the plant.

Tell me its not fusarium!