Old 06-05-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Basil dying

Paul M. Cook wrote:
Planted 3 bunches of basil 22 days ago. In the last 48 hours I have
lost one bunch and another has started to die. What appears to
happen is that the roots die and I see about an inch of the plant
stem at the base turn brown and woody. It happens very quickly. What could be
the cause of this?

It is still too early here in Seattle to plant basil. Basil always does this to
me if I plant it before late May or June. If it isn't continuously warm where
you are, you may be having similar problems.