Old 20-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Rich Conley

Default Medium Tech Tank

High light and no CO2 is a bad idea...you could also do DIY CO2....its almost
free...

Harry Muscle wrote:

I've been doing a bit of research on how I want to setup my new planted
tank. It seems like there are two directions to go in, Low Tech and High
Tech. Low tech consisting of nothing special in the soil, no undergravel
heating, basic lighting, no CO2, no daily dosing, and sometimes no
filtration. It looks like people have success with this, slow growth, but
it seems to work. High tech consists of special soil, undergravel heating,
good lighting, CO2 injection, dosing, and tons of filtration. However, what
about Medium tech? The tank that would best fit my pocket and needs would
consists of:

standard gravel mixed half half with fluorite or laterite (can't remember
the difference) to cut down cost
undergravel heating (I can get these cheap)
good lighting (this I can build myself so lots of light is not a problem)
no CO2 injection
dosing, preferably not
tons of filtration (this I can also do myself so I can add as much
filtration as is necassary)

Basically I would take a position somewhere mid point between Low and High
tech, by adding better soil, undergravel heating, better lights, a little
bit of dosing and filtration to a low tech tank, but still staying away from
daily dosing and co2 injection.

So how does that sound? Could I expect this to work. I don't mind sticking
to the easier plants and all I expect of them is that they grow, but their
rate of growth I'm not too concerned about (I basically don't want them to
die or always stay the same). Anybody else tried something similar, what
kind of growth did you achieve, did it last?

Thanks for any feedback,
Harry