Old 06-05-2010, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
PtePike PtePike is offline

Default Whats with onion sets.

Bobo wrote in
:

On Mon, 3 May 2010 00:33:18 -0400, "None4U"
wrote:

Hi . Anyone care to explain how to grow onions from year to year. I'm
not understanding how making onion sets gets you anywhere. You either
let then grow and eat them or plant them late and make sets for next
year. How do you get onions to reproduce. Without buying them over
and over. They don't seed do they?

I grew up planting onions with sets. Once I started with seed I never
went back. Onions from seed are bigger and better with more variety
available. In Ohio anyway, prepare the soil in the fall for spring
planting. I planted around the first of March this year though
sometimes go as late as April, earlier is better. My soil is heavy and
so I cover the seed with compost. Planting mix or sand work too.

Would I be correct if I said that onion sets bought will not generate seed
because they have been heat treated and grown from seed they will?

I find it confusing because I have done both and no seeds yet over the last
2 years despite that my neighbours having seeds from seed sown onions,

No big deal I know, but a home grown baked onion or 2 with our Sunday
Dinner is..........mmmm and I am jealous because I cant do it.

Cheers
PtePike