Old 07-05-2010, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Whats with onion sets.

In article ,
says...

Would I be correct if I said that onion sets bought will not generate seed
because they have been heat treated and grown from seed they will?

No.

I find it confusing because I have done both and no seeds yet over the last
2 years despite that my neighbours having seeds from seed sown onions,

What variety of onion?

We grow Vidalia from seed, Egyptian (aka walking onion) which propagates
itself very well, and Stuttgarter from dutch sets. All will blossom and
set seed though blossoms on the Egyptian are kinda weirdly mixed with
the bulbs on the top.

Did your onions have blossoms?

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_clos...6855175-onion-
blossom.php?id=6855175

http://healthyhomegardening.com/Plant.php?pid=996

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-3695...e-up-flowered-
onion-blossom.html

No big deal I know, but a home grown baked onion or 2 with our Sunday
Dinner is..........mmmm and I am jealous because I cant do it.

:-) My grandfather (my cousins used to call him grandpa fibber) would
tell stories about planting baked onions and getting baked onion bushes.

Sometimes it takes a few tries before you catch the wave. ...Onions and
radishes are pretty foolproof.