Old 20-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Rich Conley

Default Medium Tech Tank

Yeah..it will foam...but it settles back down in a while...

Robert Flory wrote:

"Rich Conley" wrote in message
Basically I use knox jello....a cup of sugar...mix in hot water...poor

water
into coke bottle...put in fridge till it gets hard....then put an inch of

warm
water and yeast. It doesnt put out as high levels of CO2 as the "normal"
methods...but it lasts forever....takes the yeast a while to eat

through...

PH swings dont seem to be bad.....I let the new batch go for like 2 hours

before
I swith the bottles...jsut so I'm sure its actually producing CO2....I

dont
really see any swings...any Day-night swings dont seem to effect the

fish...but
I dont measure, so I cant tell you what they are...

With high light, CO2...actually keeps PH crashes from happening. In

fertilized
high-light tanks, the plants will eat all the carbonate in the water, if

you
dont have CO2...and your PH will crash...CO2 keeps the plants from eating

the
carbonate.

Try adding a little sugar to the yeast and water added on top of the Jell-O.
You can have the best of both worlds...quick start and a long even run.

Suggestion... from experience. Don't be lazy and mix everything in the
bottle. Jell-O will foam up if you shake it hard enough...;-)

Bob