Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Plant id plea

On 7 May, 18:48, "someone" wrote:
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in ...

In message , kay
writes

In message , Sacha
writes-
On 2010-05-05 19:53:48 +0100, "shazzbat"
said:
-
We went to the allotment today by a different route to the usual, and
on the way we spotted this plant in a roadside ditch. We haven't seen
it there in previous years. *What is it?

http://tinyurl.com/35m6zyp
.jpg-

Skunk cabbage - very handsome.-

The BSBI ('BSBI' (http://www.bsbi.org.uk)) might be interested.

That's the yellow, western or American skunk cabbage, Lysichiton
americanum. There's also a northeast Asian species with white spathes..
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

It's appeared in our nature reserve this year. Any idea whether it's a
harmless garden escape or something invasive we should be worrying
about?

Google Lysichiton invasive site:uk

There are a number of official looking pages listing it as invasive, but I
haven't found one that says how bad it is.
--

I was given one about seven years ago as a gift that a friend bought for me
at a garden centre. *It lives in my main pond and has large leaves and

someone- Hide quoted text -

I think the reason it is classed as invasive is because the seeds wash
down strean and grow where they settle.
David Hill