Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default Help ID tree?

In article ,
Doug Vernon wrote:

I could not figure out how to start a new thread, so I'll post my query
here. I have a fruiting tree in my yard.. this is the first year since
I moved here that fruit has appeared. I've lived here 3 years. I've
tried the online tree identifiers but they can't narrow it down. A lot
of the results bring me close to the persimmon family but the fruit is
not persimmon... I'm pretty sure.

The fruit itself at this stage is small, about the size of a cherry
tomato. The skin is soft and fuzzy. The fruit is globe shaped for the
most part, some of them looking a little bit more like a young pear.
When cross sectioned, there is a relatively thin band of light colored
fruit with a pentagon shaped seed cluster center. Each of the 5
sections of the pentagon appear to have clusters of elongated
bean-shaped seeds in them.

The foliage is somewhat varied. There are long shoots coming up from
the ground with simple, alternating, smooth, oval shaped leaves tapering
to a dull point. Some places have clusters of shoots coming out with
irregularly distributed leaves. There are shoots with leaves, and then
there are branches with shoots with leaves with branches with leaves as
well. The undersides of some leaves are fuzzy, while others are not.
The edges of some leaves are wavy while some are not. 80% of the leaves
are more or less perfectly formed with some small portion of the leaves
forming damaged like a lobe or something. The veins grow out from a
central vein and toward teh edges of the leaves appear broken up like
dried mud. or a network of busy city streets. The trunk is smooth
mostly with lots of round bumpy spots where either it was pruned or who
knows what. These silvery/black bees really like this tree at certain
times of the year.

The fruit currently resembles young apricot right now, but I know it is
not because of the seed pockets inside. I have some pictures that can
be viewed he

'Pictures by emhartain - Photobucket' (http://tinyurl.com/2wnumkf)

Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Bears some resemblance to medlar.