Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Height of a compost heap

On May 9, 4:39*pm, mogga wrote:
On Sun, 9 May 2010 15:10:21 +0100, "'Mike'"

wrote:
It has taken me a couple of days to turn a compost heap and what with what
was there and new stuff added, it is now nearly 5 ft high and about 3 ft
square.

I know it will settle, but is there any advantage/disadvantage with a 'high'
compost heap? ('High' as in height not 'phew' before some smartarse passes
comments)

Mike

The more the merrier I think. Obviously if it's bigger than your house
then you've gone too far.
--http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.ukhttp://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Apart from which, taking all the grass clipping (etc.) up to the
roof , only to then have to climb further....

If memory serves, the optimal distance that the core of (settled) heap
should be around 1.2 metres. I think this was for aeration potential.
For leaf based compost the extra weight assists in grinding it all up.