Old 09-05-2010, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Height of a compost heap

In message , mogga
writes
On Sun, 9 May 2010 15:10:21 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

It has taken me a couple of days to turn a compost heap and what with what
was there and new stuff added, it is now nearly 5 ft high and about 3 ft
square.

I know it will settle, but is there any advantage/disadvantage with a 'high'
compost heap? ('High' as in height not 'phew' before some smartarse passes
comments)

Mike

The more the merrier I think. Obviously if it's bigger than your house
then you've gone too far.

For a hot heap I presume that the closer to cubical the better. The
bigger than better, until you get to the point where the interior
catches fire, or turns into charcoal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94308364@N00/227048081
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley