Old 09-05-2010, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Plant identification

On Sun, 09 May 2010 11:04:57 GMT, (Dave) wrote:

On Sun, 9 May 2010 11:39:19 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Are you sure it's bindweed and not its more desirale cousin, Ipomoea
indica? I wonder what the neighbours are/were growing!

I've just dug down and it is coming from under the fence that backs
onto a public pathway, so would assume it's like the rest of the weeds
that come through and is not there for its beauty!

Dave

It does look like bindweed andonce you're sure it is, you need to get
rid of it before other things get going. Maybe let it flower to be
really sure; white convolvulus flowers.
If you're not anti-weedkiller, spray it with Glyphosate while there's
nothing else growing there. That will get down to the roots. Try to
pull it or dig it out and up it comes again. I get terrible trouble
with it from non-gardening neighbours next door. Another way is to
curl the long stems up and stuff them in a sandwich bag, then spray
weedkiller into the bag and seal. It worked well for me for what came
under the fence.

Pam in Bristol