Old 09-05-2010, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How Cold Is Too Cold For Leaf Lettuce?

EVP MAN wrote:
A week ago I planted some black seeded simpson leaf lettuce. As fate
would have it, tonight they issued a frost and freeze warning for my
area with temps. getting down to 29 F. My lettuce is about 1/2" high.
Do you think if I cover it that there may be a chance it will survive?
The next three nights are going to be around 30 F. here.

Rich

There is every chance of it surviving 29F and it probably will not need
covering. Although we often eat lettuce in warmer months it is actually
easier to grow in cooler conditions.

David