Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default How Cold Is Too Cold For Leaf Lettuce?

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

A week ago I planted some black seeded simpson leaf lettuce. As
fate would have it, tonight they issued a frost and freeze
warning for my area with temps. getting down to 29 F. My lettuce
is about 1/2" high. Do you think if I cover it that there may be a
chance it will survive? The next three nights are going to be
around 30 F. here.

Rich

I'd think about getting out and misting your plants with water from
a hose about 4:00 AM. Then 5, 6, 7 . This will also let you have
outside water on. I've got tomatoes out.

You are advising sitting up half the night hosing the garden when it
is 29F.

It would be much more efficient to hire a crop duster to fly in and
spray the patch hourly, that's what I would do.

David

No I am suggesting you get up at 4 am and see if a hose needs to be
sprayed.

There is an excellent chance the lettuce will be fine without attention.
There are a dozen ways you could put a temporary shelter over them if you
were really worried. But you want to get up in the freezing cold and spray
them at 4, 5, 6 and 7 AM. I prefer to think that your are pulling my leg
rather than you are a crazy sonambulist.

David