Old 10-05-2010, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What do to with a runt rose bush

On 5/9/10 1:10 PM, Chris Nelson wrote:
The previous owners of my house planted a row of 6 rose bushes. One
of them is a "runt"; 1/2 the size of the others right now and never
seems to catch up. It seems healthy, just small. I know almost
nothing about roses. Is there something I can do to help it catch
up? Fertilize the small one? Cut the big ones back? I'm near
Albany, NY (whatever zone that may be).

Some roses simply grow small. Some grow large.

I have seven roses growing in a line parallel to my driveway. Closest
to the public sidewalk is 'Oregold' followed by 'Paradise'; both are
quite small bushes, about 2 ft tall. Then there are 'Brandy' and 'Pink
Perfume'; both grow medium size. The next one is 'Honor' followed by
'Mr. Lincoln'; both can grow taller than I am. Finally, I have '4th of
July', a climber growing along a wire that runs from the eaves of my
neighbor's one-story house to about 10 ft up on the side of my two-story
house; I have stand on a bench to prune it and to remove dead flowers.
You can stand on the public sidewalk and see all seven plants in bloom
without the plants in front hiding the ones in back.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean