Old 09-05-2010, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹° ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹° is offline

Default Tomatoes

On Sun, 9 May 2010 18:10:57 +0100, "wafflycat"
wrote:

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 May 2010 15:25:43 +0100, "~Brian~"
wrote:

wafflycat wrote:
"~Brian~" wrote in message
This year I seem to be having terrible trouble with tomato seeds!
they just will not seem to grow at all. Previous years have been
fine, but this year everything seems to have been a failure with my
tomato seeds. I was wondering if you have any suggestions?
I grow them in single pots, with John Innes potting compost, then
place them in a Gardman growhouse, but although all my other seeds
have grown well, the tomatoes are not showing at all.
I live in SE Kent.
Would be obliged for any advice or recommendations.

Cheers ~Brian~

The tomatoes I'm atemtping to grow from seed are not doing as well as
last year's efforts. New seed, new compost.. This year's compost
doesn't appear to be as good as last year's. Plus the extended cold
spell earlier in the year - everything seems to be *weeks* behind
this time last year.
Those are my excuses and I'm sticking to them...

Actually several people (Neighbours) have said much the same thing to me.
Im
tempted to get some seedlings from a nursary! :-(

Happily I've noticed no problems this year.

I planted dozens of various types of tomato seeds this year, in trays
in my conservatory, no extra heat, full light, transplanted into 2"
pots, then into 3.5" pots and now in unheated greenhouse borders for 3
weeks.

They have all grown like triffids.

Yeah, yeah... rub it in why don't you...

My cucumbers all failed last year, most unusual.

I gave some identical seedling plants to my neighbour whose greenhouse
is 6' from mine and she was supplying me. She had a brilliant crop.

Go figure, I can't

--