Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
thePoint

Default Hair Algae

50 Gal tank
Tank lighting - 2 Panasonic 96W compact flourescent on individual
controllers.
Duration - 12 hrs day
CO2 - from Champagne yeast cultute.
Water - RO - change 3 - 4 gals weekly.
Fish Stock - 2 corys, 3 bleeding heart tetras, 2 Angels, a gaggle of white
clouds.
Feeding - Sparsely
Substrate - dirt with gravel on top.
Filtration - Eheim 2213 with standard hard media and peat.
Latest tests, pH - 6.8, no2 0.3, nh3/nh4 .025
Tank has been up 5+ years. Compact florescents added 6 months ago.

The tank is heavily planted with Crypts, Valenseria, Amazon Sword, and a
few other lil goodies. My main problem is with hair algae growing along
the edges of many of the leaves. The filaments of this algae is from 1/2
to 2 inches long. It is rather coarse to the touch. Close examination it
is a dark green color.

I also have some free floating hair algae. It is light green, very soft,
and is easily removed.

I'm seeking a way to rid myself of the coarse algae growing on the edges of
the leaves. I have a feeling that the coarse algae is light period
related, but varying the light period does not seem to affect anything but
plant growth.
--
He is no lawyer who cannot take two sides.