Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bluebells

In message , Jo
writes
We moved into a new house not so long ago and are just discovering what's
going to pop up in our new weed-filled, slightly overgrown garden. We have
bluebells - hundreds of them and they are taking over the whole garden,
appearing in every possible corner and working themselves across the grass!
As much as they look very pretty I don't want them all over the garden.
I have searched for other posts about these invasive plants, but can't seem
to find any original threads.

Is there a way of keeping them at bay? We have a huge amount of work
(clearing) to do in this garden and I fear that all the digging up will just
spread them further.

I would expect that mowing would weaken and eventually eliminate them
from lawns.

Otherwise you can reduce the numbers by separating the bulbs from the
soil when digging (and selling them on Ebay?), and then control them by
weeding them out where they're not wanted when they appear in subsequent
years.

[I put a few in the allotment "temporarily" when I was cleaning up a bed
in the garden. I have found that they produce plenty of seedlings in
that environment.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley