Old 10-05-2010, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris Nelson Chris Nelson is offline

Default What do to with a runt rose bush

On May 9, 7:02*pm, brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 9 May 2010 13:10:40 -0700 (PDT), Chris Nelson

wrote:
The previous owners of my house planted a row of 6 rose bushes. *One
of them is a "runt"; 1/2 the size of the others right now and never
seems to catch up. *It seems healthy, just small. *I know almost
nothing about roses. *Is there something I can do to help it catch
up? *Fertilize the small one? *Cut the big ones back? *I'm near
Albany, NY (whatever zone that may be).

There are many types of roses, all with different growing habits...

Yes, I know. But these appear to all be the same type. They spout at
the same time, have the same color foliage and blooms, etc.

you can always move them. *

I might end up doing that; ripping out the runt and redistributing the
others.

Are you north or south of Albany,

North (lower Saratoga county).

I'm south. *I'm not a big fan of roses, they're too fussy. *

These pretty much just grow. I feed them now and then but not much
else.