Old 10-05-2010, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_2_] Ian B[_2_] is offline

Default Bluebells

On 2010-05-10 10:28:32 +0100, "Ian B"
said:

Jo wrote:
We moved into a new house not so long ago and are just discovering
what's going to pop up in our new weed-filled, slightly overgrown
garden. We have bluebells - hundreds of them and they are taking
over the whole garden, appearing in every possible corner and
working themselves across the grass! As much as they look very
pretty I don't want them all over the garden. I have searched for
other posts about these invasive plants, but
can't seem to find any original threads.

Is there a way of keeping them at bay? We have a huge amount of
work (clearing) to do in this garden and I fear that all the
digging up will just spread them further.

I don't know about the lawn, but I've inherited lots of them and
found you can just pull out the ones you don't want. Now they're
down to manageable numbers and a rather pretty accent to my bumbling
attempts to produce an attractive garden. They're easy to dig out
with a trowel. There were zillions initially. And poppies. I
could've knocked Afghanistan out of the heroin market with my
initial poppy farm. I also found out on this ng that something I thought
might be a weed
was aquilegia, and now I wish I hadn't pulled as many of them up as
I did. I'd also be happy to give anybody as much creeping buttercup as
they'd like. Ian

If anyone is getting rid of genuine English bluebells (as opposed to
the Spanish invaders) I think they could well find willing hands to
take them, including perhaps local owners of woodland, or even
e-bayers.

I've just inspected mine, and they all appear to be foreign.

Ian