Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jo[_5_] Jo[_5_] is offline

Default My daughter's melon has wilted

I bought my daughter (a serious melon-lover) a melon plant (Lady F1, type
of Honeydew) which we planted at the weekend. It's in a mixture of
multi-purpose and grow-bagcompost in a wooden crate, planted in a mound (as
per instructions), with black plastic sheeting aound the base of the plant
to keep the soil warm and the leaves off the soil.
Two days later it has developed a serious floppiness which doesn't appear as
though it may be simply fixed by watering.
Being new to melon-growing, have we done something seriously wrong? Maybe
it's too cold for it outside at the moment, although the plant in on a
south-facing wall which currently is getting a small amount of sun.