Old 11-05-2010, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Community Garden Question

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

I visited a start up "community" garden run by non gardeners.
Apparently this will be designed as a teaching garden for kids.

They are about 9 raised beds built of cinder blocks, ~ 4' * 3'.

Water will be supplied by either rainfall or runoff from a large roof of
a community center. There is room for about 8 barrels. I think about 12'
vertical fall from where the barrels could be stored. There is talk of a
bicycle water pump. Sun looks good, with just shading early and late.

All this is in Atlanta 7b.

I think they want to grow a bit of everything, veggies, flowers and
herbs.

I'm looking for ideas of what will be tolerant of care and how to
irrigate this.

When I first looked into this I thought there would be someone there
that could teach me about gardening, not the other way around!

Jeff

http://communitygarden.org/connect/

Learning is a two way street.

You learn best when you teach.