Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Re-turf a garden that is soft/sinking?

Jammy wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning to sort out my back garden as it is weed infested!

Here's the real problem tho - the ground is so soft & unlevel. If you
stand in one place just for a minute, you start to sink!

The house is a newish build (3 years), so I'm hoping the garden wasnt
done properly?

Now this is what I'm planning doing:

1. sprayed the whole garden with weed killer (it will kill
everything) - have this this today.

2. wait a couple of weeks for everything to die

3. remove the top layer of dead weeds/grass

4. Rotovate the ground

5. Lay some new soil if needed

6. Rake until soil is fine & level

7. Lay new turf

Is this a good plan? BUT how do I address the issue of the
soft/sinking ground?

Roll it after raking. Rake again. Roll again. Until it is firm and level.