Old 20-04-2003, 06:08 AM
LeighMo

Default Hair Algae

I think you're right on on the CO2. I'm looking at the Carbo Plus unit.
Seems to be much less of a hassel than the cannisters, etc.

I don't think the Carbo-Plus would work for you. Your tank is so big, and you
have so much light. I doubt the Carbo-Plus could provide enough CO2, and even
if it did, it would use up too much carbonate in your tank. You'd have a
problem keeping the pH from crashing. IME, the Carbo-Plus should be used with
Onyx as a substrate; otherwise, it's tough keeping the KH of the tank up.

I have a lot of plants now. I can hardly see the back of my tank now.

That's part of the deal, if you decide to put in that much light. A planted
tank should be 75% to 80% planted, to keep algae in check. More might be a
good idea, in your tank.

And especially with your light levels, you need fast-growing stem plants. The
plants you list would all grow fine in half the light you have. Why have that
much light, if you're not going to use it? (And if you don't use it, the algae
will.)

Yes, you will have to do a lot of pruning with fast-growers. Some people prune
twice a week. But that's part of the deal, when you go with a high-tech,
high-light tank.

I'm using Tetra Plus (about 50ml a week), but am wide open to any
suggestions.

What's in Tetra Plus? I don't think I've ever heard of it. I do use Tetra
FloraPride, though, and it's not a complete fertilizer. It contains only
potassium and iron, and a little bit of molybdenum.

You need a more complete fertilizer, like Tropica Mastergrow or the Seachem
line. In addition, you'll probably have to add nitrate and maybe phosphate.

Leigh