Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato Wilt

wrote:
On May 11, 6:36 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
wrote:
For three years now I have lost my tomatoes to wilt. Can anyone tell
me why?

MJ

You don't give us much to go on.

Humid or rainy conditions
Poor watering practice, water splashed up the leaves carrying spores
and making damp
Not enough air circulation and sun
Planting in the same bed, ie not rotating
Using susceptible cultivars

The first you cannot do much about, if you have 2 months of overcast
and warm summer drizzle you can forget your tomatoes. The rest you
may be able to improve.

David

None of the above apply. I looked at the web site sent to me a few
more but I still can't figure it out. They talked about bacteria in
the soil but wouldn't that destroy everything else? Very Frustrating.
What if I cut off the leaves/stem that have wilted. I guess it
couldn't hurt

How many cultivars have you tried? How do you know the ones that you have
tried are resistant? Sometimes trial and error is not a bad procedure.

Have you tried taking some of the affected plant to an expert for
identication?

If it actually is a wilt this may help:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3122.html

David