Old 13-05-2010, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Im getting rolling eyes about my garden.

In article ,
"None4U" wrote:

I have teaming with mocrobes here now, i wil start on it tomorrowq morning.

You'll find "Teaming with Microbes: A Gardener's Guide to the Soil Food
Web"
Jeff Lowenfels and Wayne Lewis
http://www.amazon.com/Teaming-Microb...l/dp/088192777
5/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815176&sr= 1-1
a fascinating read.
along with

Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture
(Paperback)
by Toby Hemenway
http://www.amazon.com/Gaias-Garden-S...ulture/dp/1603
580298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271266976&sr=1-1
covers the much the same ground as "Teaming with Microbes", plus
composting, and aspects of permaculture.

and

"How to Grow More Vegetables" by John Jeavons
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/...=search-alias%
3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=How+to+Grow+More+Vegetables&x=0&y=0

"Vegetable Gardener' Bible" by Edward C. Smith.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Gard...Gardening/dp/1
580172121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815454&sr=1-1
are all you need to chart the course of you garden.

The first two really address organic gardening and how and why organic
gardeners do what they do.

"How to Grow More Vegetables" addresses organization of the beds in
their near infinite combinations and permutations.

Lastly, the "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" tells you what the individual
plants need.

Of course this is a gross simplification, in that the books over lap,
but these are their strengths.

I can't remember how I came up with "Teaming with Microbes" but it got
me started down the right path. "Vegetable Gardener' Bible" just had
good review on Amazon, and it has been very helpful in getting to know
the cast of my garden. A friend who was un-plugging from the "grid",
told me of "How to Grow More Vegetables", which talks of bed planting
and not wasting space with rows, among other things. Either Bill or
Charlie introduced me to "Gaia's Garden", but it took another year or so
before I got to read it. So many books and so little time :O)

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
--
- Billy