Old 12-05-2010, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge[_2_] Rusty Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default New Member.

Sue Holt wrote:[color=blue][i]
No Name;886243 Wrote:
Sue Holt wrote:

Hello there. I'm from the Wirral, originally. My parents still live in
New
Brighton. (Or more accurately, they live there again)

Whereabouts are you?

Hi. I'm on the Bidston ridge - so plenty of acid soil and sandstone
outcrops among the ancient pine trees. We also have mature and highly
protected American red oaks, horse chestnuts and birches - all of which
make gardening in their shadow an interesting challenge.

Sounds good for fungus-hunting...

Where is your garden?

I'm confused by the other replies - I had no idea what I was getting
into here! It's very easy just to wander into a site like this without
understanding its history.

Ah. You've wandered into Gardenbanter, which annexes posts - maybe
selected posts - from this Usenet newsgroup.

Usenet is not (easily) accessible from the WWW, and generally is
accessed using a newsreader and a newsfeed. Many mail programs have a
newsreader incorporated.

Usenet is rather like e-mail, where all messages to the group are
readable by all subscribers, and may be replied to by anybody.

Newsreaders indent previous messages so conversations can be followed at
a glance:

Latest message...
earlier still message, etc.

Messages coming via Gardenbanter (which reproduces our group without
permission) are not so indented, making exchanges difficult to follow.

So - if I go direct to this forum is that ok?

Well, we welcome all comers wherever they come from, but this is a
newsgroup, not a forum. Gardenbanter is a forum which steals our
messages and presents them as their own, and we do prefer that the group
is accessed via a newsreader for the reasons stated above.

Anyway, welcome, however you arrive...

--
Rusty