Old 13-05-2010, 03:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Bug, bugs,

In article ,
"None4U" wrote:

Hello,
Id like some suggestions for bug control.
I got bugs holes in my eggplant leaves already . Two days ago it was 1/8
inch holes. Tonight there's sections missing. And I see a chew spot in
one of my lettuces. In the past I used to just buy seven or bug spray.
Diazinion ,Pyrithon, And spray everything.
I had some 70% neem oil from my old hydro setup I put on them for
tonight. As I have to go to work. The bug are very small black and some
white bugs. I'm guessing aphids or something similar. I'm also thinking the
neem oil will drop them. But I foresee more problems as it warms up. I
have some books with common bug pictures in them. So identification isn't a
problem.

I've just grown a bit smarter about chemicals on my food . And I'm not sure
what to do. I saw some grubs when I was putting my onion sets in last week.
Which isn't the problem now. I just saw them. And my old mode of operation
would be to get a big bag of Grub x and do my whole lawns and garden. Kill
everything for miles.

But if I want pesticides in my food I will go to the supermarket.

I will get Japanese beetles in my grape vines later on too. I have
earwigs in the lawn. Last year I sprayed beetle spray everywhere because
earwigs got in my tent. And the spray wiped everything out. I was pleased
with that stuff. But I had no garden then.

I found a bottle of vegy and fruit spray. Some of that diamatous dirt .

I guess I've just started the wheels turning .

Ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Diesel.

Last year Bill suggested "Milky Spore" but I guess it was too late in
the season. For some other ideas around integrated pest management (IPM)
see http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/pub_phjbeetle04.pdf
and
http://www.landscape-america.com/pro..._beetle_contro
ls.html