Old 13-05-2010, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Frost damaged potatoes!

kay wrote:
How will it affect their taste? Am I remembering rightly that they are
sweeter when they have been frosted, or is that only after they have
been picked and stored?

I thought that was parsnips?

Parsnips and sprouts get it in a good way. I was thinking of it in a bad
way. :-/

I can't imagine frost being good for potatoes.

No, especially when /all/ of the foliage is dead!

At least I didn't have 2' tall bean plants that have been masacred, like
a few other people seem to have done ...!

Presumably runners and french, not broad?

Yes. Lots of very happy broad beans, and the peas are all fine (Nick was
worried about them, but I think peas are a much less tender crop than beans
- otherwise you wouldn't be able to overwinter them!)

In fact, my broad beans are very pretty at the moment, with white and
scarlet flowers all over! Although they're not very tall.