Old 14-05-2010, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant ID request

In message
,
Dave Poole writes
It is a Linaria and probably one of the supina group although that
leads us into on of the largest aggregations within Linaria, which is
not too helpful. Judging by the apparently thickened, obtuse-
mucronate leaves, I suspect it's origins are Mediterranean and a plant
of the maquis or similar habitats. Given a warmer, drier climate on
poorer soil, the leaves would not normally be as broad. The flower
colour is wrong for supina, so I'm tempted to think along the lines of
L. depauperata, which has several subspecies, or at least a primary
hybrid with depauperata as a parent. That's about as far as I can
go. I grew L. supina and depauperata many years ago during a brief
phase when I was slightly 'into' alpines and rockery plants.
Seedlings from them did exhibit varying degrees of veining, as well as
colours from yellow to white in supina and off-white to purplish in
depauperata.

I was speculating on those lines, and had gone so far as to download the
Linaria treatment from Flora Iberica. The figures therein show narrow
leaves with acute apices, but reading the text Linaria supina does
sometimes show obtuse apices. The leaf habit does look a bit more like
depauperata than supina.

Stace does mention a hybrid (Linaria x cornubiensis) between Linaria
supina and Linaria repens, but that's stunningly rare (and probably has
a more lax stem structure).

Thanks.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley