Old 14-05-2010, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Snails and Walls

'Mike' wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
Plum wrote:
I would like to hang my amaryllis/hypocanthas(?) outside on my house wall
during the summer. I have tried putting them at ground level and the
snails ate the lot, including the bulbs. We all know that snails can
climb to any height, so ideas please, to stop them climbing up a brick
wall and into my pots. Many thanks.

I've noticed they don't seem to like wood. Maybe a length of gravel board
at the base of the wall would be sufficient.

Have to argue with you there. I have a wooden veranda right across the back
of my house and they climb right up into the top of it :-((

Mike

Maybe it's treated wood they don't like. I've never seen a snail/slug on
the fence or shed. I'd always assumed it was the rough texture that put
them off.