Old 14-05-2010, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Snails and Walls

"stuart noble" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message
Plum wrote:
I would like to hang my amaryllis/hypocanthas(?) outside on my house
wall during the summer. I have tried putting them at ground level and
the snails ate the lot, including the bulbs. We all know that snails
can climb to any height, so ideas please, to stop them climbing up a
brick wall and into my pots. Many thanks.
I've noticed they don't seem to like wood. Maybe a length of gravel
board at the base of the wall would be sufficient.

Have to argue with you there. I have a wooden veranda right across the
back of my house and they climb right up into the top of it :-((

Mike

Maybe it's treated wood they don't like. I've never seen a snail/slug on
the fence or shed. I'd always assumed it was the rough texture that put
them off.

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=WG86SSIG

Fist picture. Painted wood. Snails nip up there :-(( Click on the piccie
twice and you will see a Coconut. Had Snails IN the Coconut

:-((

Polished Copper wire works as a barrier, but once the verdegrie (sp) builds
up, the snails and slugs nip across it :-(((

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.