Old 15-05-2010, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default chicken not laying

Christina Websell wrote:
I don't agree that a hen that lays well will suddenly stop "for a break" for
no reason.
If that happens, there is something wrong with her.

We did think maybe she'd started laying again, as we were getting brown eggs
of the right size but in slightly different shades, but I think in hindsight
it may have just been from the day the boys fed Bluebell a whole hill of
dandelions.

You have ex-batts, and I have some myself and they continue to lay for
England.

All laying figures are "in the first year". What kind of rate do they go
down to after they are a year old? And how old do they tend to get to
before going off altogether? (or going off to a better place!)

I don't wish this unkindly, but you got your first chickens and tell other
people what to do now. I think I have 30 years on experience.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a turf war! :-(

Thank you for your help.