Old 16-05-2010, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tree ID

In message
,
Dave Hill writes
On 15 May, 16:54, Dave Hill wrote:
On 15 May, 12:54, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains
these words:

I came across this small flowering tree on the edge of a warehouse site
(presumably an amenity planting).
* *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot27.jpg
* *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot28.jpg
Anyone recognise it?

*eleagnus angustifiolia?

Janet

I'd say it's Elaeagnus pungens
Angustifolia has yellow flowers.
David Hill

I meant to add that it has taken you quite a time to ask the question
as they flower in the Autumn.
David

Since you've pointed me in the direction of Elaeagnus (the only one I
knew was x ebbingei, and I wasn't even certain about that one) I've been
to the Hillier Manual, and Google image search.

It looks as if it is Elaeagnus multiflora, which flowers in April and
May, and is better known for its "blood-red" berries borne a month or
two later.

Thanks.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley