Old 16-05-2010, 02:59 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jonno[_20_] Jonno[_20_] is offline

Default Potash for citrus

Here we go again...
First of all expenerience tells me its chook poo the tree needs.
Solve the potassium stuff after the tree fails to respond. That hardly ever
the case. If the tree is not producing flowers, then is MAY be a problem.
But its usually not the case. Its in need of a tonic. Chook poo has enough.
While I cant analyse it from where I'm sitting it pays to start with the
essentials.
People are always being told that if you want something to flower you should
add Potash.
No one say how much. The result is the nutrients can get unbalanced.
Better to do it safely...Add the other stuf later perhaps, and as David
says, preferable spring time, though if the weather is still warm, a light
application can help as a tonic till spring...Its usually in the process of
shutting down for winter at this point so doesnt require much.

..
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
"Sandra Bodycoat" wrote in message
. au...
Hi to all

What would you recommend as a high potash fertiliser for citrus
trees? Thanks
Sandra

Jonno wrote:
Chicken manure, and not the factory pelletised stuff.
Its makes citrus sit up and take notice.

Chook poo is good for citrus but it is not high in potassium. If you are
sure that potassium is required then the quickest and cheapest source is
potassium sulphate. You can buy a 500g packet for $8 or 20kg sack for $40
(IIRC). The sack will last a very long time. It must be applied
sparingly and well watered in. I wouldn't be applying it until spring.

Despite being synthetic potassium sulphate is an acceptable input
according to organic standards. If you picture "organic" meaning
synthetic fertiliser is bad then there is no logic to this at all. The
reason is most likely that there are very few non-synthetic fertilisers
that are high in potassium and most of those are ash which tends to be
very alkaline.

David