Old 16-05-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Unknown flower/weed

Bob wrote:

Thanks Dave, presumably it's native to that area around Toulouse?
I know it grows on Cyprus 'cause I've seen the normal one a long long time
ago but didn't recognise it.

I would assume so Bob yes, although Toulouse is possibly close to its
northern limit in France. Typically it is a plant of the
Mediterranean basin and is found in France, Italy, Greece and Turkey
as well as many of the islands. I've seen it on Cyprus too and I
understand that it also occurs on Crete and Corfu. I prefer the
straight species as in your pic to the cultivated plumose form, which
is a bit of a monstrosity in my view.