Old 16-05-2010, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Ramsons (wild garlic)

On Sun, 16 May 2010 21:38:53 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
.. .
countymayo wrote:

I cooked a
shoulder of pork last night with 13 garlic cloves, it was not over
garlicky at all, just very tasty.

Sounds like, as I often tell my Dear Lady, that you _almost_ used enough
garlic!

I have only a few Ramps/Ramsons, given me by a friend; they seem not
happily located, so don't multiply much. But they're available in the
spring at Farmers' markets, and I grow plenty of "civilized" garlic.

Ah, but. Wild garlic seems to be the fashion now in posh restaurants.
It's not why I wanted some. I have a very small spinney that I call my
"wood" and I want it planted up with native plants. It was missing some
Ramsons, the culinary aspect was secondary.
Although it's unlikely to get out of control as I was warned it can do, I
will eat it before it can ;-)
What a fantastic plant it is - you can eat the leaves, bulbs and flowers.
I have to ignore it for now, be patient and stop coveting..
It's hard g
Tina

Did anyone watch "Halcyon Days"on BBC1 tonight? Philipa Forester
cooked pasta with wild garlic. Apparently it does not make your
breath smell as ordinary garlic does and has other advantages which I
can't remember!

Pam in Bristol