Old 17-05-2010, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heat-shrink tubing as wrapping for grafts?

On Mon, 17 May 2010 06:11:56 +0100, Michael Bell wrote:

So, has anybody got any experience or comments on this?

Interesting idea. The biggest snag I can see is the heat, IIRC the
tubing has to get above 100C to shrink that might be a tad warm for
plant material, particulary the exposed bits of stem, you could mask
those with ali foil? Check the specs of heat shrink there might "low
temperature" versions about.

Mechanically heatshrink isn't bad but after applying it I think I'd
still bind the joint to give it proper support. The heatshrink just
helping to keep the bits in the right place for you.

Removal will require cutting off it won't unwrap like a binding.
There isn't much if any "give" either so it might have to come off
earlier than a binding would.

--
Cheers
Dave.