Old 17-05-2010, 05:20 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogga View Post
Thinking of topping up my garden veg bed with some topsoil /and/or
mushroom compost.
Not sure what to get and what % - whether I get half and half or 1/3
2/3 - or to just get topsoil.

Price is 35 quid per bag of each (or 25 loose but OH doesn't want a
mountain in front of his garage)

Any suggestions (I know it's probably entirely wrong time of year but
it's something I think needs doing sooner or later)

All suggestions welcome...
I think we need to understand why you think you need to add topsoil to your vegetable plot, what's there already?

Mushroom compost is a soil conditioner, like peat, improves the texture and moisture holding ability. It actually has few nutrienst because those were exhausted by the mushrooms. Ideally it would be mixed in with the soil, though I have heard if you use it as a deep mulch the worms will do that for you over time. If you are lazy you can buy conditioned topsoil from some suppliers, ie, premixed.