Old 18-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Cheshire gdner Cheshire gdner is offline
Registered User

Location: Cheshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_2_] View Post
The plot I have chosen was reportedly neglected, and the council have come
in and rotovated it so at least I should have an easier start than some.

I have already been given some seed potatoes (within 5 minutes of arriving
to look at the plot) which should allow me to get part of the plot planted
up and easily controlled.
The question is what to do with the rest.

Dave R
Can any of the allotmenteers tell you if the neglected plot was very grassy? If so, you might have wireworm problems with spuds for the first 2-3 years (sorry).

As for other plants, the Gardening Direct website has a good search tool from its veggie plants tab. You can choose the time of year to plant/sow and see what it comes up with - obviously they only show what they sell but it's a very quick guide to what's possible.

Happy harvesting.
Gardening Masterclass and Garden Makeovers